Saturday, March 28, 2015

As a Jew, You Have to Take Sides

I grew up Jewish.  When I was growing up, being Jewish meant you supported Israel.  I lived through the 1967 war (I was a toddler), the 1973 war (I was in third grade), and the “troubles” since then.  Israel always seemed invincible.  As I got older, things became more complicated.  Today I read about Jews of my generation who question their loyalty to Israel, who, in fact, disclaim Israel as their birthright, as if it were something that could be disclaimed.  Certainly, the images of dead Palestinian children can make anyone with a shred of human decency’s heart break.  I sympathize with those Jews who choose to remain “neutral” in the current difficulties.

Read more at Charting Course
(Hat tip: KimR)

0 comments:

Post a Comment